Sunday 18 April 2010

starving in Buenos Aires


At last I return to my blog while here in Buenos Aires! What a place, it has absorbed me and challenged me ever since my arrival.

Now, the incredible force of nature, via the volcanic eruption in Iceland has resulted in me having to stay longer, well, who I am to argue?

Some nights in milongas feel surreal, sitting in dance halls that probably haven't changed since the 1940's. Some of the milongueros seem likewise, although mostly these older men are charming and so kind, perhaps glad to take a younger woman around the floor. I''ve been glad of their attention as usually their dancing is steady, straightforward and musical, a gentle way to start an evening perhaps, before encountering the young, strong and more daring style of the newer generations.

Friends from home text me and comment that I must be getting "so good" while I'm here, that would be great, although tango here doesn't seem like that, it humbles you, as it really seems to be in their bones. I have worked on my technique mostly and difficult those classes have been. I would like to return home an improved follower, as to share the tango at its best is my real desire.

Now, for the first time since I arrived here, its pouring with rain, and there is quite a storm rumbling overhead.

Hopefully, I will be able to get out tonight to a milonga though...I feel starved if I miss a night's tango!



Tango Malvern web site is http://www.tangomalvern.com

No comments: